In previous posts, we’ve discussed the best practices for ordering black iron grease duct. Any project manager should always work with a fabricator who can produce a quality product that will allow you to confidently and safely complete your project within your timeline and budget. The same questions you ask when purchasing roof equipment rails will be essential to ask when ordering quality sub duct risers.
Just as you should always be strategic when purchasing black iron grease duct or ordering custom ductwork, you should similarly think critically about where to order your sub duct.
Sub duct Codes
Even if you are using fire-rated duct for exhaust risers, cooling stratified smoke can spread beyond the fire origin zone. Therefore, any subduct exhaust system requires continuous upward airflow.
When your project requires sub duct risers, first check your local codes. Make sure you know exactly what the codes in your region require.
To ensure that you are purchasing sub duct that is up to code, make sure to work with fabricators who can have specific expertise with producing sub duct.
Next, make sure that you are in compliance with the International Building Code (IBC). Only order sub duct risers that are IBC 2006 SECTION 716.5.3 compliant. The provisions of section 716 govern “the protection of duct penetrations and air transfer openings in assemblies required to be protected.” According to 716.5.3 “Shaft enclosures that are permitted to be penetrated by ducts and air transfer openings shall be protected with approved fire and smoke dampers installed in accordance with their listing.”
The MSR sub duct
Madon Sheet Metal can expertly and cost effectively fabricate sub duct.
- Ordering MSR will allow you to safely install IBC 2006 compliant exhaust shaft rating for smoke and fire in kitchen, bathroom, and clothes dryer applications.
- The MSR is produced in 4, 6, 8, and 10-inch round connection sizes.
- The MSR sub duct is made of a 24 gauge G90 galvanized sheet metal body and a 26 gauge G60 female start collar for vent connections.
- While providing a minimum 22-inch rise within the exhaust shaft, the MSR maintains a low profile. This results in less restriction, less noise, and lower velocity within the exhaust shaft itself.
- The hemmed ½” flange all around the MSR allows for a strong connection to the inside wall of the exhaust shaft.
American Made, Union Made Subduct
The MSR is Yellow Label Union Made by Sheet Metal Workers Local 73 members.
To learn more about how Madon Sheet Metal can get you quality Sub Duct Risers for an excellent price with fast turnaround time, Contact Us.